Kidney Beans and Corn Saak
Simple & Fresh
I am writing this while sitting with my dear mum at Moorfield’s eye hospital. In general the first question she asks is what are you making for dinner tonight? My answer to her is I don’t know… but that simple question always gets my mind going ………
On the way on the Met line she mentioned that there is a new air con train from Nairobi to Mombasa, sweetcorn came to my mind. So I thought why not make my super quick simple Kidney Beans and Corn Saak. I always tend to use fresh but i am sure you have a tin of sweet corn and kidney beans in your cupboard so here’s the recipe.
- 1 corn of the cob or tin of sweet corn
- 1 tin of kidney beans
- ½ tsp mustard and fenugreek seed
- ½ tsp cumin seed
- ½ tsp hing/ asafoetida
- Couple of cloves 1 cinnamon stick Curry leaves ( optional)
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- ¼ inch chopped ginger
- 1 green chilli
- Chopped tomatoes or half a tin of peeled tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 5 ml oil
- Heat the oil and temper the mustard and fenugreek seed and let them crackle.
- Add the cumin seeds, hing, cloves, cinnamon stick and curry leaves.
- Add garlic, ginger and chilli. Sauté for a couple of minutes then add the tomatoes. Let this cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the sweetcorn, kidney beans salt and turmeric with a cup of water and simmer for about 5 minutes.
That’s its folks all I am going to do is eat it with my yummy chapattis. Summer is almost here as there loads of sweet corn, why not jazz it up a bit?