Strawberry and Avocado Faluda
I first tried faluda when I was ten years old. The Indian milkshake made its way to Kenya and the Kenyan Indians brought it to London. Traditionally made from full-fat milk, rose syrup, basil seeds, vermicelli and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, it is very heavy and full of sugar and calories, so, being health conscious,
I went on a mission to come up with a healthier vegan alternative. This strawberry and avocado faluda provided one of those happy moments when a simple, nutritionally balanced recipe turned out to be deliciously addictive and it went down a storm at my summer Kenyan barbecue.
For the chia parfait
- 4 tbsp chia seeds or basil seeds
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml/9fl oz/generous 1 cup oat milk, or plant-based milk of your choice
For the strawberry mousse
- 200g/7oz/2 cups fresh strawberries (or frozen and defrosted)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 4 large soft dates, pitted
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
For the topping
- Coconut ice cream (or vanilla, if you prefer)
- Flaked almonds and pistachios
1. To make the chia parfait, mix the ingredients in a bowl and leave for 20 minutes, whisking from time to time, until thick and jelly-like. (Alternatively, you can leave it overnight in the refrigerator).
2. Place all the strawberry mousse ingredients in a blender and blend at high speed until completely smooth.
3. To assemble, spoon the chia parfait into 4 large wine glasses, pour the mousse over the parfait and top with a scoop of coconut ice cream and a sprinkling of flaked almonds and pistachios.